Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homecoming 2012: Surviving 30-days in the Philippines with $1000.00 only budget?

Finally, I am coming home! After 12 years since I left in July 2000, I am coming home for the first time ever!

I have booked my trip from April 1-30, 2012 via Asiana Airlines with stop-over in Seoul, Korea. My  co-workers at Pegasus Home Health Care share my excitement of going back home in the Philippines for the first time after 12-years of blood, sweat and tears being away from my children for so long.

Some say it's early too early for my countdown; and as the days go by  since I have booked my trip in early January, that excitement is slowly turning into anxiety and fear... on a shoe-string budget, the BIG question is: Will I Survive 30-Days in the Philippines with US$1,000.00 only budget?

Ryan said he came home to Manila and Aklan with $3,500.00 cash;
Rhea said I should bring at least $2,500 cash and a good credit card;
Eileen said she survived with at least PhP100,000.00 and enjoyed local [financial] support from her from brother in Manila;
Pilar said, every move in the Philippines is money; you pee, you pay! AND everyone expects you to pay the bills ALL the time!

Honestly, I am already scared to go home right now... but I have to! I need to see my children. I waited for this very day that I finally am able to hug my sons Anto and Pax, and my daughter Pol again after 12 years!

Would you please give me some tips on how to survive a 30-days vacation in the Philippines with only one thousand dollars cash?

2 comments:

  1. hi....just curious about what my boyfriend comment on ur post sa facebook po then i found it interesting hehehe...so 1000$= P42,150 as the lastime i went sa bank(BDO)at knina lang un,,kung meron na kayong nabiling mga pampasalubong nyo for all ur relatives na makakabalita po na uuwi ee pwdepwde nadin po yan...! but see this way kung my sasakyan po kau and ang gas po ee P45-55 ang price depends kung anu ang need ng sasakyan nyo... then kung taxi nmn ee P40 ang 1st metered then P3.50 po ang next metro,kung commute ee P8 ang minimum,,kung 30 days kau na hindi lalabas i mean sa house lang ee kasya po yan 1000$ hehehe...kung hindi nyo nmn po matiis na hindi mamasyal pwde po kau sa park...sa quezon city circle free...kung sa wild life P30-70 ang entrance kung sa ecopark(la mesa dam park) gnun din po my bayad taz magluluto nalang keu ng spaghetti or mas mura pancit then water nalang imbes na softdrinks,, kung ayaw nyo nmn po sa park at gsto nyo sa malamig pwde po kayo sa SM MOA then pawindow window shopping lang hehe,,then pwde din kayo magbaon ng food un nga lang dun kayo banda sa seaside kung kakain na kayo hirap nmnkumain sa gitna ng mall hehehe... kung bahay lang tlga kayo at magsisidaingan ang mga kamag-anakan nyo po pwde nyo pong budgetin ang P42,150/30=P1405 then tell them ohh "mga iha,,iho,pinsan,,tita.tito.lola,lolo,inaanak P1405 lang ang budget ko naun araw na to pwde na ang cornik at cropek ha?!" hahaha kung masasabi nyo po kc for sure ang sasabihin lang nila in the back of their minds ee after 12yrs cropek lang?cornik lang?they are expecting for u to be generous kc 12yrs po kayong nawala...:P i mean iniisip nila na malaki ang kargada nyo po:P but then dapat din nila maisip na hindi kayo ngtrabaho para lang gastusin ng 30days:)

    sana po makatulong etong comment ko...and goodluck po sa paguwi:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sokie. Makiki-epal ako to give my two cents' worth.

    P42,000 is something like P10,000 week, and enough, I think, if just for you and your kids only. I presume you're coming home to bond with your children so siguro you should limit your activities to:
    - watching movies? (P150/person)
    - eating out (fastfood)
    - seeing the sights (car/gasoline)

    You can do home-based activities like buying and watching DVDs and cooking at home for your children, inviting a few friends over.

    Your trip would be the height of summer, so I guess your kids will expect you to take them outdoors, to the beach, etc. Choose the destination wisely and plan in advance.

    If nagbabalak kang makipagkita sa friends, make sure kanya kanya kayong bayad. Best not to initiate the meeting, or if you do initiate, let them know from the start that you're here on a shoestring budget.

    If balak mong umuwi sa probinsiya, ibang usapin yan, kasi sa probinsiya, gagastos ka ng malaki. They will expect you to spend, unless kausapin mo relatives mo na 1) hindi ko kaya ang gumastos, or 2) hindi ka muna uuwi sa probinsiya.

    I know this kasi kapag umuuwi ang parents ko from the US, I usually help plan their trip, and we really spend for them here.

    Hope this helps.

    Luz R.

    ReplyDelete