Thursday, February 23, 2012

How to counter the culture that the Balikbayan should pay the bills?

Florence intended to have a two-months vacation in the Philippines. In the middle of her vacation, she called her sister in California, "Napiang na 'ko!" [I am crippled!].

Pilar just came back in California after three weeks in the Philippines. "Bawat kilos mo, gastos!" [Every move is expense!] People expect that the balikbayan would pay for all the bills.

"Spending is in the air" is how I see the prevailing culture of balikbayan in the Philippines.

When a balikbayan goes home either for a vacation or emergency situation or for permanent residence, everybody expects that he or she has a never-ending supply of money to spend!

So how do I counter this prevailing [silent] culture of balikbayan?

Initially, this is how I intended to do it:

1. stick to my agenda that I am coming home first and foremost for my 3 children & core family;
2. stick to my budget of $1000.00 - I will give my money to my treasurer less airport taxes and terminal fees and let them budget my money
3. deposit my credit card to my treasure with a strict note that credit card is for emergency purposes only
4. stay at home, stay at home, stay at home!
5. when going out, pack sandwiches and alkaline water
6. take the least minimum public transportation only
7. invite friends, relatives at home rather than meet in restaurants, malls, etc.
8. shopping is out of my agenda
9. i am having diarrhea, therefore, i should not eat out!
10. YOUR OPINION, IDEAS ARE WELCOME...


No comments:

Post a Comment